Pages

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Mama's Hospital Bag

I've mentioned before that I've got my bags all packed and I think I'm ready to go! I've been having stronger contractions the last couple of days. Some are painful, some I hardly notice except for my belly becoming very hard and tight. Nothing is very consistent and obviously haven't led to full blown labor, however, I think baby is packing up shop and is preparing for his move-out any day now!

I had no idea what the heck to pack in my bag. I've soaked up suggestions from friends and a trusty Google search and below is what I've decided to go with.

For labor (all of these things I feel comfortable tossing after it's all said and done):

- A large tank top (men's size medium): easily removable and is long enough to cover my bum if I decide to only wear the tank when in the room.
- A flowy maternity skirt, short & black: to wear if I need to walk the halls, or want to be a bit more modest in the room but can also have easy access to whatever the midwife needs to see.
- Sports bras (a size up from what I normally wear): I'm bringing a couple to wear in the tub and if I just want to rock the sports bra instead of the tank.
- A robe: I've been told you can go from hot to cold and vice versa all throughout labor. A light robe might help the cause as well as keeping from flashing the nursing staff.
- Honey sticks: for a quick boost of energy. After all, they tell me this can take 20+ hours!
- Coconut water energy pouches: for an electrolyte boost and hydration.
- Red raspberry tea bags: I've been told this can help contractions be more efficient. I plan to have someone make it then put it over ice. I may be wrong, but hot tea sounds terrible while in labor.
- Chapstick: Breathing "HeeHeeHooo" during contractions (x's 100) can really make your lips dry... I found that out in my preggo class.
- A water bottle with a straw: A friend told me to have this handy between contractions to keep fluids up as well as moisten your throat.
- A massage tool: While in contractions, counter pressure feels so good. Matt's poor hands will get tired if he has to keep it up for 20+ hours. We bought a $3 massage tool to give his fingers and hands a rest.
- Socks: Although, I kind of like the ones they give you at the hospital because they have little traction pads on the bottom...
- Two big towels: I've been told that the hospital "towels" are the size of a washcloth.
- Music playlist to keep me going and hopefully help me to relax.

After birth:

- Nursing bras: no underwire
- Nursing tank tops: easy access
- Yoga pants: two pair
- Witch hazel spray: to numb the soreness/pain
- Witch hazel pads: in case I need new ones right that second and I don't want to wait for the nurse to give me more
- HUGE granny undies: two sizes too large. I probably will just wear the mesh undies at the hospital (these things are hideous and wonderful, people) but I figure if I need undies, I don't want them tight on my body.
- Another robe: in case the other is in the trash...
- Socks
- MaxiPads (extra, super, heavy duty): just in case. I hear the only way to go is using what the hospital has.
- Motherlove nipple butter: sore nipples and a sucking baby... you get the idea.
- Hair brush
- Shampoo/ Conditioner
- Toothbrush/ Toothpaste
- Lotion
- Snacks: in case I don't want what the hospital has
- Camera
- Phone Chargers

Hey veteran mama's, have I missed anything?

No comments:

Post a Comment