Pages

Monday, June 3, 2013

Maternity Clothes

I've had a few people ask me where I bought my maternity clothes once I started showing. The truth is, I started wearing maternity clothes the moment I started to feel uncomfortable (16 weeks). I quickly learned that my comfort was much more important to me than trying to fit into my non-preggo clothes. I don't think I really started showing until about 20 weeks. At 16 weeks I was still able to wear most of my normal tops, but I sprung for maternity leggings and skinny jeans right away. Matt had also bought me a belly band and that was really nice for those moments when I was lying to myself about the girth of my waist. Plus, I sit most of the day behind a desk and quite frankly, the button and zipper from my non-preggo pants were so annoying, I just couldn't be bothered.

The stores I had the most success with were H&M, Asos.com, Gap, Loft and Target.

Clothing Must-Haves

First, stop denying the inevitable and embrace it! While you are forced to say goodbye to your old body for a while, you are growing a precious child! It's a beautiful, beautiful thing.

- New Bras. You may have to do this a couple times! It feels so much better when the "girls" are comfortable. Plus your back will thank you. I also bought bigger sports bras. And quite frankly, when it was just me and Matt at home, I let them be free. Pregnancy boobies are so painful. Target has bras that won't break the bank and you can feel sort of okay about tossing if necessary. I also had some luck finding "nicer" bras at Nordstrom Rack.
- Maternity Tank Tops. Get all the colors. Yes, the ones made for baby bellies. At first you may not fill it out, but you will!! And you will be thankful! I layer the crap out of these babies. First wearing them under more "flowy" tops I already had. Then as things progressed, I'd wear them with cardigans, light jackets, and on their own (because my body temperature is on high!). Mine are from Target and Gap.
- Maternity Leggings. Yes, good ol' legging but with a bonus belly panel that fits over your belly. I have three pair and I wear all of them every week. I wear them with longer tops, with tanks, to bed... basically if they aren't dirty, they are on my body. Once I bought these, I felt like I could BREATHE.
- Maxi Skirts and Dresses. If I'm not wearing my leggings, then I have a maxi dress or skirt on. At about 8 months I realized that pants, maternity or not, are the devil. Swelling is part of the process when it comes to growing a baby and nothing reminds you more of that then a pair of pants. Do yourself a favor and buy a few dresses or skirts. Bonus, they don't always have to be maternity. I had the best luck with dresses and skirts at H&M and Target. I've also been able to wear a few I already had.

Your turn, any other mom's out there have suggestions for those seeking advice!?

No comments:

Post a Comment