Pages

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Midwifery

The other day I interviewed a midwife in the interest of potentially transferring from my OBGYN to her practice.

As I get closer to 40 weeks, I'm more and more sure of my wanting to give birth naturally and without pain intervention by way of medicine. While I like my OB as a person and respect him immensely, we don't align when it comes to how one views labor and birth (go figure I find this out after 32 weeks. Rookie). He tends to lean toward pain intervention as soon as possible as well as the thinking that a woman should dilate a cm an hour and if not other steps are taken to move you along (Read: pitocin, c-section) Everything I'm reading and learning about says that first time moms can be in labor for 20 hours or longer and as long as baby and mom are ok that time frame is ok. While some women feel as though they would like for their labor to end as quickly as possible, I want to experience it, pain, length and all. The whole process from conception to birth is absolutely miraculous and I want to experience my bodies raw instinct to do what it was made made for. My whole life has been leading up to this point, and gosh darn it, I'm never fun to be around when I'm rushed (ask my husband).

My worst fear in labor is that I'm rushed into a procedure unnecessarily; that I'm not given all of the options but the one opinion and option that my OB wants. I need full disclosure to feel comfortable. I know I have no control as to what/how my body will react, however, I want to know all of my options and make the best decision for me and baby during that time. I fear that my OB will just choose based upon his (granted, very educated) very obstetrical (Read: surgeon) practice.

Midwives are trained in everything labor and delivery EXCEPT when it's time for a c-section. They tend to aire on the side of natural birth. They are taught counter-pressure for when contractions are exceptionally uncomfortable and painful. They support other birthing positions that make the most biological sense, i.e. standing, on all fours, squatting etc. They tend to utilize water/ baths as a way of relaxation and they are trained to help coach women through their contractions rather than dangle the carrot of pain meds.

Personally, I tend to lean toward an all natural lifestyle and the way of the midwives just fits me better. So, what if things go wrong and I need a c-section? I'm immediately sent to their partnering physicians and they take care of me and baby just as my OB would.

I feel guilty for leaving my doctor after all the attention and kindness he has shown me, but then again, I'm the one pregnant and having a baby.

p.s. I highly recommend you watch the documentary, The Business of Being Born.

No comments:

Post a Comment